Saturday, September 15, 2012

Normal is Evolving

It is extremely comforting to me to read confessions from people I love and respect like the Bloggess and Wil Wheaton on the topic of depression. Because of them, it's starting to feel like it's okay to admit that I deal with this stuff. I don't have to be ashamed of my feelings, I don't have to hide them, and most importantly, I don't have to pretend I don't have them. It's really comforting to echo Jenny Lawson's words, "depression lies". It makes me feel "normal" - I think "normal" is evolving to include people like me - people who are anxious all the time, who live in constant fear of rejection and ridicule. And just because I know it's unfounded, because I know I shouldn't feel the way I do, it doesn't stop me from feeling thus. I like knowing that I'm not alone. I like knowing that even though I absolutely love my life, love my family, love my friends - it's okay to be sad sometimes. And it's nice to know that that sadness is not imaginary, even if it's not justified.

So, thank you internet, for the comfort you give by showing me I'm not alone.